Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Feeling Fall

Fall comes a little later here in Las Vegas, but when it does come, I breathe a long sigh of relief. All summer long, I hold my breath and wait for fall, when I can breathe again. We may not have the splendor of the northern or coastal states, but the little changes here still make me appreciate the cooler weather. The other day, Marin and I went for a walk and I felt impressed to take a few pictures of some of the color around us.

This is one of the trees across the street from our complex, so pretty. The entire street is lined with these trees and they are all colorful. The other trees are palm trees, nothing much to look at.

A really pretty bush next to the colorful trees, I love all the berries!

I did it! I made a wreath for our door and it turned out better than I expected. While the fake flowers were a little pricier than I hoped for, the end result was just gorgeous and I feel our house is a bit more festive. And you know, I have never really been a huge fan of fake flowers, but they have come a looong way from your grandmother's plastic-y shiny 1940's fake flowers. I think I've learned that if you do choose to use fake flowers, stick to only a few flowers in a similar color pallet, and try to shy away from the little flowers.
You may be a bit confused by his picture, it doesn't look like much does it?! I made some butternut squash ravioli the other night with a brown butter sage sauce, dried cranberries and toasted walnuts. Not only was it delicious, but it screamed fall flavor and even better...it got the thumbs up from Kris! This has been my goal since he turned his nose up at butternut squash soup last year, so I am really happy about this.

And the final fall favorite, homemade chicken noodle soup. One of our absolute simple favorites, and it can be good for you too if you up the amount of veggies and add a handful less noodles and maybe switch them out for whole wheat noodles.

No comments: