Thursday, March 10, 2011

Isn't He Precious

Kristoffer and I have determined that we make some dashingly cute little babies.  My-oh-my, look at what a precious young sir we have added to our family!  He certainly is growing big and strong, this morning on our bathroom scale he weighed in at 9 pounds 6.4 ounces, a full pound (and some change) heavier than his birth weight, 3 weeks ago!  

Look at that sweet mug, he is going to be such a charmer ;)

This morning, I brought out the play mat, and he was just amazed!





Little froggy feet!  He is just about too small for this outfit, so I had to get a pic!
The little rings to hang on the loops are stored away in the garage, so I made-do with some industrial sized office clips.  The poor stuffed animals didn't know what hit them...it actually looks a tad sinister...huh.
Poor lobster :(

And my sweet boy has been smiling at me for a few days now, umm, yeah!  Who knew 2 week old babies were able to smile in response!  I thought initially it was just a fluke and chalked it up to gas (the usual baby-smile-culprit), but I noticed as I smiled and talked to him, he was working hard at studying me and pulling the muscles in his face.  And the sweet reward of a newborn babe's innocent smile, ahhhh, there's nothing like it :)   

I have been noticing more and more differences between Owen and Marin when she was a baby, it makes me laugh, because although I know they are different, it's funny that such different little personalities arise from a singularly similar gestational experience!  Yes, yes, I get the whole genetics thing, it just makes me laugh, that's all.  

Feeding Time:
Marin:  Happy with every two hours during the day, every 3-4 hours at night.
Owen:  Cluster feeding.  At least every two hours during the day (if not more) and cluster feeds in the evening (an hour to 90 minutes after he finishes his last feed).  Nighttime, every 2-3 hours.  Once, he slept for 4 hours straight...I was amazed.

Naps/Bedtime:
Marin:  Swaddled, no bink.  Not a snuggler, ever, always wanted to see what was going on, did not like being on her belly.
Owen:  Wrapped loosely with hands near his face, sometimes wants a bink (so weird to me!).  Totally a snuggler, loves being on his belly.

Bathtime:
Marin:  LOVED being naked (still does) and was always ready for a bath or shower.
Owen:  HATES being naked and tolerates bath/shower time.

I am learning to be a mom of two now.  It's been a scary adjustment, and I'm still working hard at it.  I'm getting little sleep at night, so my patience level is pretty poorly stocked, and the weather isn't quite nice enough to go outside, so we spend our day's inside.  It's a work in progress though, each day I (hope!) try and learn something.  The blog posts may be a bit more staggered for a while though, sorry!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

He is so sweet! Congrats to you!
I am completely terrified of being a mom of two. I just have faith that this is what the Lord wanted for us. I can hardly do a mom of one! Just let Marin help out lots... and hope it wins brownie points for her to do something you would like her to do.

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Being a mom of two is fantastic--after the baby turns about three months old, it's easier.. at six months, it's a relief... at a year, it's a piece of cake! Unless they gang up on you I guess!

It's being a mom of THREE that is truly terrifying to me... when they OUTNUMBER you. (No, not an announcement!)

You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having a boy!! And he'll learn to like bathtime. And then he'll unlearn it. Scott could go a month without a bath, I think. I'm pretty sure he only scrubs his body down once every handful of days!!! He does like playing in the water, so I can bribe him in. And if there are bubbles... he even gets a little clean, right! :)

Tabitha said...

He is so cute! So fun to read about your experiences with that new little one. I really wish you lived closer ... Can't you convince Kris that the West Coast is overrated? :) (And Ben adds that it's in danger of being wiped off the map by a tsunami)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Awe, he is so cute!!