Thursday, November 3, 2011

Grocery Help

If you are shopping on a budget (like me!), you know how challenging it is to get as much as you can for your money.  Especially as of late, the prices on things in the grocery store are just about reaching *ludicrous*!!  So, I thought I would share a little tip for my Utah friends. 

 My brother in law introduced me to the NPS store, and it is *amazing*.  I can walk out of that store with SOOOO much for my money, and that is WITHOUT coupons!  Check it out:

Before I went to NY in September, I snapped a few pictures of my haul.  How much did I spend on this spree?  45 bucks.  Yup, 45 bucks.  I KNOW!  I did use a few coupons, but I saved about 3 dollars with that.  I can't remember all of what's in the picture, but you can see: 8 boxes of cereal, 2 boxes of generic cream of wheat, 4 totinos pizzas (for the hubs!), 2 boxes eggo waffles, 2 tubs mayo, 2 cake mixes, 1 box protein bars, 2 jars peanut butter, 2 jars salsa, 6 cups of yogurt, 1 pkg raisins, 1 box fiber one bars, 1 bottle Ny-Quil, 3 small tubs of hummus, a pineapple, etc...I could go ON!  Oh, plus a bag of potatos I left on the bottom of the grocery cart :/  Meh.


Aaaan, this past weeks haul.  65 bucks for this one.  A little pricier, only because I bought a 9 dollar ham and an 8 dollar bottle of olive oil.  BUT, here you may see:  2 bottle of white grape juice, 6 pks of fresh strawberries, 4 pkgs of stuffing, 1 large tub plain greek yogurt, 2 small tubs cream cheese, 2-8 oz bricks cream cheese, 2 pks ravioli, 2 big bunches bananas, a LARGE bag of pears, 2 pks pepperoni, 3 lean frozen meals, 1 box oyster crackers, 2 pks eggo waffles, 2 bottle balsamic vinegar, 4 avacados, 2 pks marshmallows, 1 box cereal, 1 pkg raisins, and MORE.


Any of this purchased anywhere else would have cost you WELL over 100+ dollars!  The reason NPS is able to offer such low prices on so much, is that they are a salvage store.  They take outdated, close to outdated, kind of banged up boxes of stuff etc from a multitude of stores and YOU reap the savings. 

I do not recommend outdated mayo, I bought 40 oz for 50 cents, so it was worth a shot.  BUT, I've purchased outdate cereal, crackers, hummus, stuffing, yogurt, and it's all FINE.  Even stuff that isn't outdated, they have excellent prices on.  They do also carry regular products, so don't go in thinking that all of their stuff is super cheap.  A majority of their products are super low priced, so it is well worth it to check it out. 

You would never see this place from anywhere, you have to know what you're looking for and it's a kind of ghetto, but once you get inside, you'll see that all types of people shop there.

If you can get yourself to 17th S. and Redwood Rd, it's only a few turns away!

The NPS Store


                                                             1600 South Empire Road

                                                             Salt Lake City, UT 84104

                                                                     801-972-4133

You can check out their website, although, it's pretty bare and doesn't give a lot of info:
 

1 comment:

Ryan, Becca, Brinley Boo AND Casen too! said...

Wow, I love little finds like this. Good job saving money! Wish they had one in Vegas!