Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Recap

Wow, I cannot believe that Christmas is over! It seems as though we have been looking forward to it for so long and now it's gone! I am happy to be moving into the new year though, it's nice to finish off the year with a happy Christmas celebration, and send you into the new year with a smile on your face and relief that the holidays are over.

Santa did indeed find our home and Marin fared pretty well. She got some pretty new dresses, a puzzle and bath toy from Grandma and Grandpa Owens, a fun Curious George toy and homemade pillowcase from Grandpa Duane and Sallie, and Bestamor gave her some incredible footage of Kris as a kid on two thoughtful CD's. She also scored some large Lego's, play-dough, a coloring book, and some other fun little toys. She has certainly been a good girl, and all of her gifts were well deserved. Besides, her gifts at this stage of life aren't very expensive, so we can get more bang for our buck!

We appreciate all of the gifts that our family has sent to Marin and Kris and me. You have all been so kind and thoughtful and we really do think you are all just the best. I e-mailed out a little last-minute Christmas update on our family, and although I would have loved to send out the real deal Christmas card with family picture, well....we didn't. Hopefully the blog is enough!

Kris and I had some friends over for dinner on Christmas Day, and it was wonderfully relaxed and easygoing. I had prepared most of the food the evening before, so all I had to do was turn the oven on and wait, it was great! I embarked on a French culinary adventure as I attempted to make croque-en-bouche, a traditional French wedding "cake" this year for the dessert. It is a tower of creme puffs stuck together with a caramel sugar syrup that hardens to make it crispy, hence the literal translation that means "crunch in mouth". Well, I had tried it quite a few years ago, and I don't think I cooked the sugar to the right temperature, because nothing stuck together. This time around though....it was JUST right, and everything stuck and hardened and it really turned out great! It wasn't as tall as I expected, but hey, who's complaining?

I've loaded a short slide show so you can catch a glimpse of our Christmas this year. I hope you all had a great holiday! What did you do to celebrate the season this year?

No comments: