Monday, December 21, 2009

Almost Here!

Christmas is almost here! I can't believe it! This will be our 4th Christmas together for Kris and I, time is just FLYING by. Wow. Well, I have purchased a few things for Kris and those are wrapped and sitting under the tree, but I haven't gotten anything for Marin yet, except for her stocking stuffers. I would love to get her a little table and chair set she can use to start eating her meals at and color at etc..., but I'm not sure how pricey that's going to be, so we may just settle for a couple of toys.

Christmas Day we've invited a couple from our ward over for dinner, they don't have children yet, but she used to be my visiting teacher and they are such nice people. I know I'll be making a yummy pork roast, but I'm not sure what else to have....hmmmmm.....I think I need some ideas. Maybe for dessert I was thinking a traditional French Croque-en-Bouche. It's a bunch a little creme puffs stuck together with a caramel sauce in the shape of a tower. We'll see how ambitious I get!

The other night Marin helped me make some vegetable lasagna, and it was soooo good! She tried to be such a big helper, and will push the chair over to the counter when she wants to be a part of the action, silly girl!

I cut a slice of apple for her, but she was more interested in the BIG part of the apple than the slice.
Helping mommy with the lasagna! And my shameful pile of dirty dishes in the background, don't look!

Vegetable Lasagna:
Filling: *Half of a large onion, cut into small chunks
*1 large clove of garlic, minced
*1 carrot, grated
*1 medium zucchini, grated
*1 medium yellow summer squash, grated
*1 pkg button mushrooms, sliced
*3 C packed fresh spinach, chopped (it wilts down to nothing), you can use the frozen kind, just only use about half.
*Any other vegetable you want to try!
-Sautee the onion and garlic until soft and translucent, add in the other veggies and cook until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in large bowl to cool. Then add:
*1, 15 oz container part skim ricotta cheese
*1/2 C grated parmesean cheese
*1 egg
*S&P to taste
-Combine and set aside.
****You will need to make a garlic Bechemel sauce (if you aren't sure how to do this, check my food column sidebar or my other blog for how to do it, it's so easy!). You'll need about 3 cups.
Assembly: I use the no-boil lasagna noodles (SO EASY!)
*Spread a bit of bechemel in the bottom of your baking dish.
*Top with no-boil lasagna noodles.
*Spread hard noodles with your filling.
*Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
*Ladle some of your bechemel over that evenly.
*Continue until your baking dish is full.
*BAKE at 350 covered with aluminum foil for about 40 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 20 minutes or so. Cooking time depends on size of baking dish.
You will LOVE this lasagna, Marin gobbled it right down! Let me know how you do!

No comments: