Sunday, March 1, 2009

For the First Time, In a Long Time. . .

For some reason, this week has had quite a few "first's" for me, well, maybe not "first's", but certainly things that haven't happened in a long time. So, here's my little list:

1) I guess I'll start with the sad one. This past week we lost a kid in the PICU. The last one we lost about a year and a half ago. It was really sad, as you can imagine. A little 18 month old girl with a sad history blew out her pupils during the night (essentially, it means she went brain dead), and all day long, it was an emotional roller coaster for the family, and staff. I wasn't taking care of this little girl, but I was in the back all day, and emotions were running etremely high. Finally, after a full shift of determining the certainty of her brain death and waiting for more family members to arrive, they turned the ventilator off at 6:30 that night. I guessI didn't realize how much it had impacted me until I called Kris on the way home that night and just started crying. All in all, I know she is most certainly in a better place.

2) Moving on! I actually had the most amazing night sleep this past week! The first good night sleep where I woke up in the morning and felt great! Refreshed! Wonderfully invigorated! I'm not really sure what it was, what I ate or what made me sleep so well, but it was soooo nice! It hasn't happened since, but I'll take the hope that it may happen again sometime!

3) I was able to go the temple, by myself. It was really wonderful. I didn't realize how much I missed going there until I was driving there. I was hurrying to get there, but not just because I didn't want to be late, but because I was really, honestly excited. The session was nice (I do however, always get pretty drowsy during the. . . drowsy part). I love the temple. The Celestial room gave me the perfect opportunity to reconnect and fill my canteen. I think as mommies we tend to keep giving and giving and giving, and the temple was a place where I could partake and be happy again. Any mom can attest to feeling drained and needing some time for themselves, and we don't really think of the temple as the first place to go. We think of going to a movie, or going out to eat or something like that. I admit, the temple wasn't my first choice, however, the feeling I had coming out of the temple was wonerful. It's so nice to have that feeling. I've told myself that instead of using my child as an excuse to not go to the temple, I need to use her as a reason TO go to the temple. She is always watching, and needs a good example. :)

4) I did something I thought I would never do. I made a job chart. When I was a kid, we all had to grudgingly participate in jobs that were written on index cards and tucked into this paisley green and white job chart on the back-room door. Ugh. I hated that thing with a passion and vowed secretly to never inflict that silly concept on my kids. Huh, funny thing that Marin isn't old enough to do chores! I was sick of getting overwhelmed with all the stuff running a house has to offer, so, I organized certain tasks to be done on certain days. Dishes and general picking up downstairs need to be done everyday, 30 minutes for dishes, and 15 minutes for picking up. Once the timer is up, you're done! Drop it and walk away. I like that idea :) So, everyday has a cool task, and things don't pile up!

Ok, I think that's it for my list of First's. So, Kris participated in a pinewood derby at church this past Fridays night. . . and he won second place! I was so proud of my eagle scout hubby! He beat out the other cheater face contestants that used CO2 cartidges. The only guy he didn't beat was a guy that had some sort of propeller on his car. But hey! Second place is pretty dang good! I can't wait for Kris to help our future boys with their pinewood derby cars.

Work has been good for Kris. Although he had 2 students that cancelled their applications, the numbers are looking good for March! I am so proud of my hubby. He has worked so hard, and I love seeing him come home from work with a smile on his face. Plus, his 3 month trial run will be coming to a close here soon, so he'll be up for permanant hire, which means a salary increase, better benefits, and a chance I might get to be home more often with my little girl.

Ok, now, before anyone riots, I have tried loading pictures, with no luck. I'll load them tomorrow, promise!

No comments: