Thursday, August 21, 2014

NY-Coming home to Utah

My husband always has a few tricks up his sleeve, and he LOVES being on the inside of a good surprise.  Truthfully, a surprise doesn't bother me...unless someone tells me they have a surprise for me a tease me with it...like my husband does!  I asked him what he was going to be doing with all his time at home alone, and his coy response:  "Don't worry about it!".  He likes to use this line jokingly when he wants to tease me.  So the whole time I was away, I was trying SO earnestly to not be concerned about his little surprises, but it makes for a rather difficult nightly conversation when your husband can't say a word about what he's been doing all day!

I have to say, when I came home, I was absolutely SHOCKED at what he had done while we were away.  He seriously must have worked the entire 10 days, day and night to get everything done.  Take a look at project number one:

So this is a little arbor/pergola my husband built over our garage.  Yes, he built this all on his own.  Amazing!  We had been talking about how pretty it would look, especially with some wisteria growing on top.  So, he did it!  It looks pro, he really amazes me with how skillful he has become. 
 It makes the boring side of our house not so boring and blah, so pretty!!
 This was the first project I saw when he drove us home.
I did make him tell me at ONE thing he was doing, so with project number 2, he yielded.  We have this really big landscaped area in the front of our house that has just been a thorn in my side.  It held some big juniper ground cover bushes which I hated.  We started with building the raised beds back in March, and putting in some plants...and that was it.  I hated having those junipers, but I didn't want to rip them out until I had a plan for what to put there.  So, Kristoffer ripped them out, sifted out all the gravel that was underneath (evidently that was a real pain) and put in some sod...a great cheap alternative to have there in the meantime.  It looks SO much better! 
 Just such an improvement!  He did a fabulous job.
Project number three:  He also started building me a raised bed in the backyard for a vegetable garden in the spring.  Not complete as of yet, but good grief, he got so much done!

Project number four:  He ripped off the baseboards in our family room and added extra height to them, like with what we did in our main floor bathroom.
 It makes it so pretty!
 And Project number five:  He replaced the flooring in our family room.  We replaced the flooring in our front living room and dining room last fall, and had purchased enough to do the family room, but we just didn't get around to it.  It kind of bugged me to have such mis-matched flooring, but I didn't let it get to me too much.  Well, Kristoffer hauled the flooring up from the basement and replaced the flooring.
 It looks absolutely gorgeous and makes a huge difference!
I am so grateful to my amazing husband for his hard work and dedication to our family and home.  Fortunately, he loves projects, but he didn't have to do any of them.  He made me cry when I came home and saw all of his hard work...especially after he told me he was just trying to get our home ready for our baby.  Seriously, tears...everywhere.  I am so blessed to have him!

No comments: