Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fun with Colors

This morning, Marin and I had some fun with colors...courtesy of a cool idea that I found through Pinterest, my new favorite go-to website for inpiration-palooza.  And, let me preface by saying that I really struggle finding things like this to do with my kids.  It's not so much the actual 'doing' per se that is hard for me, it's finding the time to do the prep work.  If it's involved and requires more than 5-10 minutes of prep-time, I'm hard-pressed to find that time when I don't have one to two children crawling all over me trying to figure out what I'm doing.  

SO....I was happy to find this super simple, super fun, super age-appropriate little activity for Marin.  I took some glass glasses and filled them with cold water to about 2 inches below the rim.  Then, we squirted on some of daddy's shaving cream, so it simulated a big, puffy cloud.  And, using liquid food coloring, I squeezed some drops into a crevice of the "cloud" and we watched as the cloud slowly diffused the color into the water below.  It was really quite cool for ME to watch!  Then we used another primary color and did the same, so Marin could watch the colors mix and see what new color they made, it was a great learning activity.

We started with just blue.
 I love this picture of her, just studying the glass, this is truly my daughter right here.
 So intent!
 And check out her new specs!  Her last pair was hanging by a thread (well, paper clips, to be exact), and she was due for another eye exam anyway, so we chose this pair together and I *LOVE* them, they compliment her face so nicely.
Watching the yellow diffuse and mix with the blue to make green!
 The next glass we started with red.
 And added some blue to make purple.
 That's my girl, finger-in-nose.  *sigh*.
 Our glasses after we finished all of our color mixing experiments....they look like they could be something you would drink!  They were awfully pretty, I was sad to dump them down the drain :(

 There's my cute girl with our color experiment.  We will totally be doing this one again, it's so cheap and easy and quick and perfect for young ones with short attention spans.

1 comment:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

UH-DORABLE!!! I want to do this with MY kids--copycatter, that's me!!