Sunday, June 28, 2009

Uh-Oh!

This has become Marin's new favorite word (beside an energetic, HI!) and she knows when to use it. She kept dropping her toy today in gospel doctrine and saying Uh-Oh! She is a pretty cute kid if I do say so myself :) Her other top tooth is coming in now too, it has also broken through the gums and man! Those teeth are SHARP! I need to be careful! I just put her down for bed, a very sleepy Marin she was.

We had the missionaries over for dinner, and it never ceases to amaze me how YOUNG they are! Oh, I had a crush on them like any other girl when I was younger, but now that I'm older, they are so. . . . juvenile I guess! Nice boys though, they are doing the right thing :)

Ahhh, my weekend. Well, I actually DID work on my own unit, which was wonderful. I also happened to take care of teenage girls with pain. Ack, that is the WORST (besides NICU). They are such WIMPS! You would honestly think they are in labor or giving birth with how they carry on and scream sometimes. I have NO tolerance for that sort of thing, sorry, but nurse ratchet comes out when you're acting like a pansy (have I said too much?). Anyway, anytime I get a teenage girl (and also rarely, a guy) come in with abdominal pain, the first thing that comes to mind is that it might be pyshological. Honest to blog, I know it sounds awful, but it is sooo true. Yes, there are times when the pain is really truly something that needs to be fixed like an appy or ulcers or IBS or something of that nature, but when we run test after test after test, and everything keeps coming back negative, you have got to be thinking psych. I have seen it too many times to NOT know. Being a teenager is tough, and stressful, we've all been there, we all know, I did not enjoy it that much personally! That pain is the honest manifestation of stress in their lives "As above, so below". So, when I DO get these kids in, I address the parents too. This is not my favorite job, and I would rather not have to do it, but it needs to be done, and it needs to be said. I tell them that we will do everything we can to find out what is causing this pain, and while we are doing this, they need to also keep in mind that the pain could be a combination of other factors also, namely stress. I tell them I am not saying it is one way or the other, but just keep it in mind if things keep coming back negative. I know I sound like an awful person, but even if they don't want to hear it, at least it's been said, and they have an idea of where to turn if the hospital CAN'T give them answers.

Ok, enough about work! This week my goal is to finish traffic school online, finish my visiting teaching (I know, I know!), finalize plans for Kris's birthday next week, and cut our Embarq bill in half. Our internet has been. . . less than satisfactory lately.

Ok, Kris is home, gotta go so he can do homework!




Have a great one!

1 comment:

Austin Stevenson Owens said...

Wait, wait, wait... Kris is doing homework?? He went back to school? I'm behind!! :)