Thursday, January 1, 2009

Honing in on some stinky baby poo here.

Well, our small munchkin had not pooed (pood? poo-d? how DO you spell that?) in 3 days, and I was a wonderin' when everything was going to rear it's ugly head. For the past 2 days, I've dressed her in not so cute clothes, or dark bottoms, just in case she had a blowout. As I was getting her ready for her bath tonight, I noticed it. A diaper LOADED with fresh offerings. And boy were they FRESH. Yuck! It has to be smelly because I'm on antibiotics. I guess I'd better get used to it, it only gets worse when they start eating people food.

I worked yesterday, and I have to say, it was, by far, the WORST day I have had at work, EVER! Well, it ranks right up there, and I have had some pretty tough days. I have never been so frustrated in my life. Keep in mind that it is a 12 hour shift. I am all for making sure you take a lunch break. Jut stopping what you're doing and taking that 30 minutes (yeah, for 12 hours, we get a whopping 30 minutes for lunch), but yesterday, it was CRAZY. Just one of those days where for everything you are trying to get done, you have to take 4 extra steps (not literally) to get everything done. I sent the same kid to CT 4 DIFFERENT times, had a mean doctor to deal with, a super sick 3 month old that I sent to the ICU, so you can IMAGINE how often I was in the room before I shipped him down, a kid to discharge, a new kid to admit, IV's to start, TONS of meds to give, a bunch of which weren't there, be on the phone to try and fix 2 computers so I could chart. I thought I was going to have to do a sedation at 6pm. INSANE. I didn't even get a lunch. I think I had stole some PB and graham crackers at 10am, and crammed some doughnut holes into my mouth while I was complaining/yelling at the charge nurse. Anyway. It was days like that, that make me want to stay home with monkey all the time.

Ok, and NOW for the big news. This morning. Kris was feeding Marin some thawed milk from yesterday, and she took 4 oz, and was still fussy, so he heated up another few oz, and she downed that too! I know for certain she doesn't get 6 oz from ME when she eats, so I contemplated for a while about whether or not to start miss monkey on ricce cereal. I had wanted to just nurse for 6 months, but I think she was telling me she was ready for more, so. . . . we picked up a box of rice cereal and Marin had her first taste of solids tonight! It was sooooooo funny to watch. The very first spoonful she kept her mouth open after I dumped the cereal in and looked at me with raised eyebrows and a very concerned/disgusted look on her face. She didn't really know what to do with it. I'm not sure how much she actually swallowed, but the experience was definately worth it. We'll keep working at it, once a day for a while, and then we'll do 2 times a day.

Here is the first meal!
Marin getting ready for dinner!

A very concerned little face, I think she's spitting it back out in this picture.
This one is a little more like her first face. It really was adorable. She looks totally grossed out.

I gave her a spoon to play with so she wouldn't try and grab mine.

That's it guys!

1 comment:

Scooter & Emi said...

Did you mix it with breast milk or water? I always mixed our kids' with formula. They LOVED it. Rice cereal with water though? No way.

Also, just a quick side note... Emily was allergic to rice cereal at first, so we switched to something else... can't remember what, maybe oatmeal? There are all kinds of options; just watch for a rash just in case!! :D