I've finished a furniture project!! Yay!! Be super happy for me! But seriously, please be super excited, because this project has taken me for a RIDE.
Here is the before picture. It's a huge piece, and extremely well made, so when Kristoffer's mom asked if I wanted it, I jumped all over it! I needed a place for my nice serving ware anyway, and this piece was perfect. I didn't want to keep the brown, it's such a huge piece, and the brown was a little overwhelming, so I wanted to paint it white and distress it, to match the dining room table, since they would be sharing a space anyway.
Here is is before I took it inside. We managed upon a dolly in our move to this house, and boy has it been useful! I could dolly this huge hutch in and out of the garage to my painting station all by myself with it.
I wouldn't even let my husband change out of his work clothes last night after he got home at 11pm before I made him help me haul it inside.
And this morning after I loaded it up! It's so pretty! And that space is precisely made to have a hutch living there.
This is the dining room table I finished a few months ago that I copied to match the hutch to. I found the same shade of creamy white, and the same undertone shade of spruce that was hiding underneath, and I think I did pretty well!
I was able to do this project (the hutch) with the paint sprayer I got for Mother's Day, and I'll admit, the paint sprayer and I were off to a really rocky start. As in, I'm-ready-to-smash-you-into-the-pavement, type of a rocky start. I had huge issues with the piston clogging and getting stuck, and leaking paint and chunky paint balls. It was a nightmare. But somehow, after hours of cleaning and lubing and getting to know the paint sprayer waaay closer than I ever thought possible, it worked.
It was a miracle really. I gave the sprayer a nice long bath in hot water, let it air dray, lubed that puppy up like there was no tomorrow, gave it a test spray with hot water, watered down my primer, and she purred like a kitten for me. I was shocked. The whole time my heart was racing, as I waited for the familiar sound of hammering inside the sprayer that would tell me the piston had seized up. But no! In fact, the battery died before the piston clogged. I was so happy! I was able to prime the whole thing so could brush it with 'shaded spruce' as an undercoat the next day. Then I sprayed my final coat of creamy white, let it dry and broke out the sander to distress it.
The handles I didn't touch and just put them back on as they were, and I think they look smashing. So happy to finally be making progress. I've actually sprayed 3 of my 4 kitchen chairs today and they are drying in the garage, so I'll post pictures of them soon. We're plugging along over here!