Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Rather Large Wall

Since we've moved into this house, I've been doing little things here and there to love my new home.  And it's really warmed right up to all this loving and has loved me back; except this rather large wall that you see here.

 Granted, I've hung one teeny tiny picture on it, but it's because I've totally struggled with what to do with this wall!  I don't want to just throw things up on the wall without having had a clear vision as to what this room was lacking...you know, blind shooting.  (Sorry the pics are so dark)  But the other day...it hit me.  There is no clear focal point.  that's the problem with this room.  There are so many things to focus on, they eye scatters and almost creates a bit of optical chaos (Is that even a term?  Sounds good.).  We bought the house because we *loved* all the windows and natural light and the gorgeous mountain view out the dining room window in the back; but there are almost so many windows, and so much light, and nothing to really rest your eye on and steal the show in order to ground all of the other lovely things.
 So, as you can see, the side wall in this house extends from the formal living area in the front of the house (where there is yet another window (not wall), to the back of the house  which is the formal dining room (where there is also another window, no wall).  The layout is a bit tricky as far as where to put furniture, but I think once I get my "focal point", the furniture arrangement will just come together.
 At first, I thought that a faux fireplace would do the trick, and I pinned a bunch of super cute ones on Pinterest.  And they were pretty easy peasy as well as cute.  And then I realized....there is no ROOM for one!  Oy, I was sad.  So I continued to think and think and think.  At first, I thought, well, maybe I could do a huge reclaimed-ish wood wall, aaaallll along that whole big wall.  That really scared me, I'm not that good of an interior designer.  So I scratched the idea, but what I liked about it was that the reclaimed wood would have drawn the eye upwards towards the vaulted ceilings that have and love.  It was a focal point.  THEN, I had another idea.  My final idea which I'm going to implement.  It's a going to be a gallery wall!
 I've loved the idea of a gallery wall, anyway, and with this particular size, height and length of wall, it's really going to look great.  It will certainly be quite a focal point for both rooms and draw your eye up towards the high ceiling, which you really need in here.  And, it will bring that warmth to the area that I just haven't been able to get in that area; my kitchen (kind of) and family room have regular ceiling heights, and feel cozy and warm, and that's what I want to mimic.
I've never EVER done anything this huge with pictures, and I'm looking for tips on how to make it work right, so if ya'll have any ideas on this, please let me know!  I'll be trying to complete it over the winter, it's a good cold weather project, you know?  So, I'm going to be on the lookout for great frames!  Keep an eye out for any progress!

No comments: