Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thoughts about the Temple

Well, I had written a wonderful epithet about the temple earlier this morning, but apparently, it didn't save, because now it's gone. Anyway, Kris and I had the chance to go to the temple last night while Duane stayed home with Marin. We really wanted a cheap date night, and of course the temple is free, so after the temple we headed to In-N-Out burger for a double double, fries and a chocolate shake. I felt like a high school kid out on a date, it was really fun!

The temple has been a great way for Kris and I to reconnect and . . . re-perspective-ize (?) our lives. It seems as though we get so caught up in work and walking dogs and giving baths and feeding baby and all the important stuff in life, that we forget about what's essential. Kris and I have had many talks about differentiating between what's important vs. what's essential, and we realize that going to the temple is essential. Especially going to the temple together. The temple is a great place to find some peace amidst all the noise in the world, and to open yourself up to receiving inspiration. This trip last night was really great for me in particular. Since I was a kid, I always had this confusion about the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and even after going to the temple and hearing peoples ideas about it, things still just didn't make sense to me. So last night, as I was sitting in the temple, I finally got it. It was great to have this little epiphany that made years of wondering all come together. I know I had more to say from what I wrote earlier, but I can't remember what I wrote! The bottom line is that we really enjoy the temple, and know that it has helped us have a great marriage, and be better parents. There is no way you can be a better parent without your spouse, and to make sure you're on the same page, the temple is the way to go. You can't go wrong with the temple.

Yesterday was really fun with Marin too. She was sitting in her highchair waiting for lunch and she looked at me and said: "Mammmmaaaammamaaammmaa"! It was too cute! I was thrilled! I had been working on it with her for a little while, I'd put her hands on my mouth while I said Mama, and she said it yesterday, and today too, but today, it was "Mama!" (I had left her in the middle of lunch to get something from the microwave, and she complained quite loudly to me). Yesterday I read Marin a story called "Mr. Brown can Moo, can you?" by Dr. Suess. I wasn't sure how she would do with it, just because it requires a bit longer of an attention span, but she really enjoyed it! The book has you make all sorts of funny noises like a rooster crowing and a train and a hippo chewing gum, so I sat in the roking chair and put her in my lap with her head against my chest, put a toy in her hands so she wouldn't rip the pages and started to read. I wasn't sure if she was enjoying it because she sat pretty still, but about halfway through the story she turned her head and looked up at me with the biggest smile and turned back to finish looking at the picture. It was adorable! So, on with story time!

Speaking of story time, we went to the library today for story time at 10:30. It's just for babies, up to 18 months, and we sang songs and read stories and had lots of fun, then had playtime afterwards. It was great to get out and meet othermommies in the community too!

Tonight I need to make a cheesecake for my friend Keli. She agreed to watch Marin on short notice tomorrow because Maddy is sick :( Then it's off to YW!

Just one pic of Marin:

Marin chewing on her play bottle. Here's her outift, mom! the one you sent!

No comments: